Breakdown of having a Gallery Art Show instead of a show in the Building:
- It's great to see kids bring their parents, siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles to show off their hard work.
- We involve the community past our Elementary buildings.
- We involve the community with a great Art Gallery.
- Kids, parents, and community get to see student work in a REAL gallery and not just hung in the hall (though that is awesome too!)
- The galleries around our area are small and can only hold a small amount of artwork. Each art teacher brings 10-15 pieces totally 50-75 total projects out of about 2,000 students.
Words of Wisdom (Things we Learned):
- Always have free food at the reception. Cookies, punch, trail mix - ask each PTO to donate something to the reception.
- Make sure to give families the dates, times, address of the show and reception. Try and give this about two weeks in advance - too early and it gets forgotten in the busy lives of families, too late and their schedules are full.
- Find an Art Gallery that is as close to your community as possible to make it easier on families and other community members to stop by.
- Try and have the show on display over a weekend or two to provide extra opportunities for community members and families to attend.
- Take pictures of the reception.
- Have the reception start about 10 minutes after school gets out so people can stop on their way to activities or home.
- Thank the Gallery
- Clean up after both the reception and the tear down of the show.
|And of course no one else joins in my 'silly face' picture!|