Pages

3.19.2012

Clay - Set Design - Update

WHOA! Where did March go?!  I didn't realize that I had not posted in WEEKS.  This month has blown by.  Our 5th grade production is in less than two weeks and that has taken up A LOT of extra time - not to mention I was brilliant and decided to do clay this month with all 800 or so of my students!  As my 95 year old grandma would say, 'GoodNITE'.

So, I have mentioned, many times, our 5th grade production.  In addition to teaching 6 classes everyday - every Tuesday morning for the last couple of months I have about 25 students that come to my room during my normal 'prep' time and have SET DESIGN class.  We have been busy painting and building set pieces for the show.  The truffula trees are complete, the background is ALMOST done, and the building we need for the last scene was started this last week.  I am blessed to be able to do set design work at my job - as I was a technical theatre major for a short time in college and have worked in the scene shop building sets all through high school and college.  Though, as much as I do love it - I am ready for the show to be here and done!  I really would like my room back - it is a DISASTER! 

The 5th Graders did a pretty awesome job painting this - I have been going back through and outlining their work.  I didn't originally want to outline this masterpiece for two reasons: 1) Things in real life aren't outlined in black. 2) There are A LOT of books to outline.  I did end up outlining because having 30 or so ten-year-old students paint it - the lines weren't as crisp as they needed to be to make it make sense.  They did a fantastic job - just needed some touch ups.  The backdrop for the show is the school's media (library) center.  The dinosaurs and cars are from prior years - projects done in class or for other 5th grade shows!  I can't wait to finally finish it and hang it up in the Cafetorium! 

As far as all my other classes, they have all been building and glazing their clay masterpieces.  Here is the breakdown - (individual posts about each project to come)

Kindergarten -- Pinch pots with lids or handles.
1st Grade -- Pinch pot WIDE mouth animals.
2nd Grade -- Handbells
3rd Grade -- Spirit Balls
4th Grade -- Spirit Balls
5th Grade -- Bobble Heads.

2 comments:

Principles of Heart said...

What an awesome set, I wish my school would put on productions so I could do this as a club. Also, I'm really interested in your bobble heads. How did you make those?

Ms Novak said...

I will write a detailed post, hopefully, this weekend. Until then maybe http://www.msnovak.blogspot.com/2011/01/4th-grade-bobble-heads.html post will help?! Basically the head is an upside-down pinch pot and the body has a really LONG neck.