Pages

2.14.2010

Kindergarten Eric Carle Flowers

Students in my kindergarten class created their own papers to make flower collages like Eric Carle.

Students Learned/Practiced:
- about illustrator/writer Eric Carle
- how Eric Carle makes his papers
- using scissors
- composition
- gluing
- problem solving

We first read "Little Cloud" by Eric Carle.  I talked with them about brush strokes and the different shapes he used to make his pictures.  Next, we traveled to Carle's website and watched a quick slide show explaining how he makes his papers.

During my demonstration I have the students tell me what they remembered from the slide show.  When my demonstration was over the kids put on paint shirts and made their own beautiful papers.

 The next time the students came we read "The Tiny Seed" by Eric Carle.  I then explained that we will make our own flower, like in The Tiny Seed, with the paper we made from last class.  I do another quick demonstration to refresh their minds on using scissors and glue.

I turn them loose and watch the creating begin!

No comments: